- the throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat, or sound without absorbing it: the reflection of light.
- an amount of light, heat, or sound that is reflected by a body or surface: the reflections from the streetlights gave us just enough light.
- an image seen in a mirror or shiny surface: Marianne surveyed her reflection in the mirror.
- a thing that is a consequence of or arises from something else: a healthy skin is a reflection of good health in general.
- [ in sing. ] a thing bringing discredit to someone or something: it was a sad reflection on society that because of his affliction he was picked on.
- Mathematics the conceptual operation of inverting a system or event with respect to a plane, each element being transferred perpendicularly through the plane to a point the same distance the other side of it.
- serious thought or consideration: he doesn’t get much time for reflection.
- an idea about something, especially one that is written down or expressed: reflections on human destiny and art.